Now-a-Days, Dental implants have become the premier choice of patients looking to improve your appearance and keeps a confidence Smile on your face.
Dental Implants are of different types. They come in different heights and sizes. Based on your need, the dental implant expert will guide in determining which option is best.
Two Types of Implants:
- Endosteal Implant: These implants are made of Titanium and placed in the jawbone. They are shaped like small screws and most commonly used implants.
- Subperiosteal Implant: These implants are placed on or above the jawbones, under the gum. This type is used in patients who do not have a healthy natural jawbone and cannot, or do not want to, undergo a bone augmentation procedure to rebuild it.
Techniques used in Dental Implants:
There are several techniques used if your jawbone is unable to support dental implants. In this process, they rebuild the bone, restore the original jawline and provide a good foundation for implant-supported teeth. The techniques include
- Bone augmentation: This involves regenerating or restoring bone in your jaw when it is unable to support implants. According to research, using bone additives and growth factors to fortify the bone generally achieves good results.
- Sinus Lift: Add bone below the sinus where the natural bone has degraded due to missing of upper back teeth.
- Ridge Expansion: In-case your jaw is not wider to support dental implants, bone graft material can be added to a small space, which is created at the top of your jaw.
Alternative Dental Implant Techniques:
There are several alternative techniques for the dental implant procedure. Based on the health of your jawbone your dentist will just the following techniques
- Immediate Load Dental Implants: These are also called as Teeth in a Day or same day implants which allow placement of a temporary tooth during the appointment your dental implant placement. This is prescribed in case you have enough natural bone and an implant which is secure to support immediate placement and pressure on the new temporary tooth.
- Mini Dental Implants (MDIs): Which is also called small or diameter implants. They are used to stabilize a lower denture.
All-on-4®: This is an alternative technique to a top or bottom set of replacement teeth, which is called a full arch. In order to avoid bone grafting, four dental implants are placed in the available bone.